To expand our team in Technologiepark, Zwijnaarde (Belgium), we are looking for two wet lab Scientists with proven hands-on skills in the nucleic acid quantification field (genome/transcriptome).
Description and goal of the function
As a Scientist, you will coordinate internal projects, oversee and plan lab resources, coach lab technicians, support on different levels as subject matter expert by sharing scientific expertise and knowledge and execute hands-on lab work. Projects will include internal R&D projects as well as applied research conducted for our clients. You should have an open eye for options beyond the project scope that provide interesting new scientific options and business opportunities.
Responsibilities and tasks:
- Prepare and coordinate the work of a team of lab technicians during project execution for several projects in parallel. You are responsible for planning and organization, ad hoc problem solving, implementation of solutions and decision making for your assigned projects in the wet-lab
- Manage internal projects from experiment design to data analysis and scientific reporting.
- Support the dry lab, project management and business development teams by sharing your technical and scientific expertise and knowledge
- Occasionally execute wet lab work to understand the practical aspects of (new) techniques or help develop demanding applications
- Coaching of colleagues during internal training sessions or troubleshooting
- Work according to the internal lab standards (IS0 17025, GCLP guideline), follow and apply the internal procedures, with assistance of the quality department
- Ensure proper recordkeeping during all aspect of your activities and guarantee complete traceability by making adequate and timely registrations
- Keep up to date with recent developments in the field (literature, webinar, conferences, etc.)
Competences and skills
- A PhD or master degree combined with 2+ years of experience in scientific research in industry setting (biotechnology/pharma sector)
- 4+ years of experience with transcriptome profiling, genomic research and gene expression technologies is a must (definitely the wet-lab part). More specifically, profound and practical experience with quantitative or digital PCR (including method development or optimization), massively parallel sequencing, and/or cell screening technology (1 of the 3 technologies is mandatory).
- Experience in supervising lab technicians or students
- Data analysis skills (R, Python and/or expert Excel user) are a plus.
- Having worked in the field of biomarker research, clinical trials, drug development or in vitro diagnostics is a nice to have
- Excellent writing- and reporting/presentation skills (scientific level)
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills with the proven ability to effectively communicate across different levels of the organization and with customers
- Customer and result oriented attitude
- Proven planning, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Able to handle multiple projects and changing priorities
- Constructive mindset and real team player helping teams to overcome roadblocks
- Driven, energetic, autonomous and proactive
- Preferably Dutch as mother tongue, fluent in English (writing and speaking)
- A full-time position in a growing company with a young and dynamic team
- A financial package according to your experience, extended with legal benefits (meal vouchers, Eco cheques, hospitalization insurance, public transport and bicycle allowance)
- Professional development and training opportunities
- Open, flexible and informal working atmosphere
How to apply?
Please send your application letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Carefully document relevant hands-on techniques, scientific knowledge, competences and skills.